Junk accumulates in our homes. It’s a simple fact. That is why when you Google “organization” every list of 10 things to-do is at least 5 ways to throw things out. But sometimes the clutter in your life is the stuff you care for the most. How do you keep the things attached to the memories you love?
- Store: The fact is you might love it, but you don’t have a need for it everyday. Collections, gifts, clothing items, art… the list is endless. Properly storing these items under the bed or in a large closet is perfectly fine. A good tip is to purchase matching storage from a popular dealer. This means if your investment is damaged it can be replaced without much effort and you keep the appearance of your home neat. The Container Store has lots of cheap storage solutions. It’s what they do. Be armed with storage options.
- Rotate: Once you have some memories put away don’t forget about them. While you don’t need these items everyday you can bring them out of the closet to enjoy. Rotating your collections on display keeps your house fresh for guests too.
- Corral: Life is hectic and not everything in a home ends up where it belongs. Put containers in disaster prone areas to corral the clutter. When a container is full return each item to its right home. Trays, baskets, decorative boxes make excellent temporary lodging for hats, gloves, keys, sunglasses and more. The stair basket sold on Amazon.com comes to mind for when you aren’t ready to climb those stairs.
- Stack: Floor space is valuable real estate especially in an apartment with a modest floor plan. Having the proper way to use vertical space can safely secure the items you want to keep around for a long time.
- Reduce: Only own what you love. No list about organization is complete without at least one suggestion to throw out the junk (see above). Before you make a purchase decide if you really need the item. Do you have one like it in storage? Can you reuse something you all ready purchased? Will you love it forever?
Of course you can always move into a larger space if none of this will do – like the spacious floor plans at Linden Ridge!